2015 CLA Recent Call Conference – SOLD OUT
Date: Thursday, October 29, 2015
We are very excited to announce a conference just for you! The CLA will be offering a FREE (for members) full-day Recent Call Conference on Thursday, October 29, 2015 in Toronto.
THIS EVENT IS NOW SOLD OUT.
NOTE: We are accepting registrations to the 43rd Annual CLA Fall Conference. For more information on the Fall Conference, please go to http://criminallawyers.ca/events/43rd-annual-fall-conference-the-essentials/.
This program promises to include useful topics for Recent Call members.
The 2015 CLA Recent Call Conference being held on October 29, 2015 has been accredited for 0 hr 45 min Professionalism Content. This program is also eligible for up to 6 hr 15 min Substantive Content.
RECENT CALL CONFERENCE DETAILS:
Thursday, October 29, 2015
- 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Professional Development – Double Tree by Hilton, Mandarin Room, 108 Chestnut St, Toronto
- 6 to 10 p.m. – Social – Hockey Hall of Fame, 30 Yonge Street, Toronto
8:15 to 8:50 a.m. – Check-in, networking
8:50 to 9 a.m. – Welcoming remarks
9 to 9:50 a.m. – Getting the stuff they don’t want to give you
- Chair: Leo Russomanno, Abergel Goldstein & Partners LLP (Ottawa)
- Frank Addario, Addario Law Group (Toronto)
- Kim Schofield, Kim Schofield & Associates (Toronto)
9:50 to 10:40 a.m. – Impaired Basics
- Chair: Vicki Hentz, Foord Davies LLP (Ottawa)
- James Foord, Foord Davies LLP (Ottawa)
- The Honourable Stuart Konyer, Ontario Court of Justice (Lindsay)
10:40 to 11:10 a.m. – Coffee Break
11:10 a.m. to 12 p.m. – I don’t remember saying that: Admissibility of Statements
- Chair: Andrew Furgiuele, Doucette Santoro Furgiuele (Toronto)
- John Struthers, Defence Lawyers (Toronto)
- The Honourable Michael Tulloch, Court of Appeal for Ontario (Toronto)
12 to 12:50 p.m. – Hearsay Refresher
- Chair: Mark Rieger, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Maggie Brown, Crown Attorney’s Office (Toronto)
- Alison Mackay, Defence Lawyer (Brampton)
- Apple Newton-Smith, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
12:50 to 2 p.m. – Lunch Keynote: Civility
- The Honourable Lise Maisonneuve, Chief Justice of the Ontario Court of Justice
2 to 2:50 p.m. – Credibility v. Reliability
- Chair: Lesley Burke, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Emily Beaton, Assistant Crown Attorney (Brampton)
- Adam Newman, Bernstein Newman & Associates (Toronto)
2:50 to 3:40 p.m. – I know what I saw … I think: Identification Evidence
- Chair: Anthony Marchetti, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Craig Bottomley, Pringle & Bottomley (Toronto)
- Emma Haydon, Crown Attorney (Toronto)
- The Honourable John McMahon, Superior Court of Justice (Toronto)
3:40 to 4:30 p.m. – Evidence and Ethics
- Chair: Joanne Collins, Ormston List Frawley LLP (Toronto)
- Anthony Moustacalis, President, Criminal Lawyers’ Association (Toronto)
- Howard Rubel, Heller, Rubel Barristers (Toronto)
* Cancellations will be accepted in writing if received on or before October 15. Cancellations are to be sent to [email protected]. A $50 admin fee will apply. No refunds will be accepted on or after October 16, 2015. Substitutions or the sharing of registrations is not accepted.