Message from CLA President, John Struthers – March 20
For the past week our organization and our tremendous members have courageously run into the burning building that is our Justice system.
- We have secured hundreds of releases.
- We have advocated for the health and safety of all Justice system participants and accused.
- We have sought a total shutdown and remote access.
Finally this has happened.
- The Court will be closed to in person appearances with the exception of few local WASH type Courts.
- The plans for remote access are in progress.
- The first fully remote Bail Review was today completed by Toronto Superior Court and the client released.
We will all have to learn how to do this. We will have some time. We hope the technological changes will be permanent
LAO has been terrific and without pre-empting their announcements today may I predict quick payments, billing on block fees before completion and payment for remote Court appearances.
We will continue to advocate for your personal and financial well-being.
Our volunteers have now withdrawn from the Courts. We salute you. You are the Pirates and you saved Her Majesty’s Ship.
It is imperative now that you shelter in place and take measures to protect yourselves and your loved ones.
We are proud Defence Lawyers. We did ALL we could. We will continue to work. Clearly the situation is changing minute to minute. The Listserv is a valuable resource as is Twitter.
I am proud to remain yours truly