5th CLA Women in Criminal Law Conference
Date: Saturday, May 28, 2022
Making Money Moves: Business, Branding and Billing
The 2022 Women in Criminal Law Conference will be 100% virtual this year.
There is an optional (extra fee) Women’s Gala in the evening that will be held in-person. Please note the times below may be updated at a later date. The final agenda that will be released with the Virtual Hub (refer to webcast access information below) will have the final times noted.
For both these events, registration is only open to those that are female, identify as female, two spirited persons and non-binary persons.
- Professionalism Hours: 2 hours and 10 minutes
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Hours: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- Substantive Hours: 1 hour and 10 minutes (if hours are not needed for EDI and/or professionalism they can be added to substantive)
CONFERENCE: Saturday, May 28, 2022, 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. EDT VIRTUAL
GALA: Saturday, May 28, 2022, 6 p.m. EDT, Aria Ristorante, 25 York Street, Toronto
8:45 to 9 a.m.: IT Support
9 to 9:05 a.m.: Opening and welcome remarks
9:05 to 9:40 a.m.: Keynote: Marie Henein, Henein Hutchison LLP
9:45 to 10:15 a.m.: Preparing your Judicial Application
- The Honourable Breese Davies
- The Honourable Lori Anne Thomas
- Moderated by: Laura Metcalfe, Addario Law Group
10:20 to 11 a.m.: Harnessing Media and Social Media
- Annamaria Enenajor, Ruby Shiller Enenajor DiGiuseppe
- Jordana H. Goldlist, JHG Criminal Law
- Kyla Lee, Acumen Law Corporation
- Moderated by: Caroline McKenna, Paquette Wilhelm LLP
11 to 11:10 a.m.: Break
11:10 to 11:50 a.m.: Billing Models/How to make money/The importance of Retainer Agreements
- Stephanie DiGiuseppe, CLA Women’s Co-Director
- Jennifer Penman, Derstine Penman
- Kim Schofield, Kim Schofield & Associates
- Moderated by: Michelle Johal, CLA Women’s Co-Director
11:55 a.m. to 12:25 p.m.: Running a Firm – Harnessing the power of associates
- Cassandra DeMelo, DeMelo Law
- Roots Gadhia, Roots of Law
- Moderated by: Hilary Dudding, Daniel Brown Law LLP
12:30 to 1 p.m.: How to add value to your firm
- Lindsay Board, Daniel Brown Law
- Melody Izadi, Caramanna, Friedberg LLP
- Moderated by: Yadesha Satheaswaran, Stockwoods LLP
1 to 1:30 p.m.: Break
1:30 to 2:10 p.m.: Expanding Practice Areas
- Jessyca Greenwood – Workplace Investigations, Spring Law
- Janani Shanmuganathan – Professional Discipline, Goddard and Shanmuganathan
- Jessica Zita – Correctional law, Ruby Shiller Enenajor DiGiuseppe
- Moderated by: Riali Johannesson, Johannesson Criminal Defence
2:10 to 2:45 p.m.: Misleading Advertising and Improper use of Social Media
2:45 to 3:15 p.m.: How to attract Clients and create a Network
- Neha Chugh, Chugh Law
- Anne-Marie McElroy, McElroy Law
- Moderated by: Deepa Negandhi, Brauti Thorning LLP
3:15 to 3:45 p.m.: PR, Marketing and Branding
- Linda Andross, ABC, MC, Managing Partner, APEX Public Relations
This is how our Virtual Conference will work:
- Presentations will be live.
- Registrants will have the opportunity to ask speakers questions LIVE. This will be a fully interactive experience.
- Registration includes access to the Conference and links to all materials (will be provided in a Conference Hub for accessing).
- It is up to each registrant to ensure they have a strong internet connection prior to the event. Please be sure to test before 9 a.m. on May 28.
- Access information to the Virtual Hub will be emailed to all registrants at least 48 hours before the start date and will be sent to the email address entered when registering.
- It is up to the registrant to make sure they have the Virtual Hub link and test access before the conference start date. Be sure to check your spam and junk folders. The CLA is not responsible if you cannot locate the access link or if you have access issues. If you are not able to locate the access information by 9 a.m., May 27, please email email@example.com. It is the responsibility of the registrant to make sure they have the access information.
- Only those that have registered in advance can claim CPD.
- Pending quality, the recordings of the conference MAY be available after the conference and placed on the Virtual Hub page 7-business days AFTER the conference for registrants to access.
- Access to the Virtual Hub will be open for 30-days for all Conference registrants. We will NOT sell access to the Virtual Hub – it will only be accessible to those that register for the conference in advance.
Virtual Conference Registration Fees:
- $70 plus HST: CLA Senior Full/Senior Observer/Affiliate Members
- $55 plus HST: CLA Junior Full/Junior Observer Members
- $30 plus HST: CLA Student members
- $155 plus HST: Non-member lawyers/legal professionals
- $80 plus HST: Non-member students
In-Person Gala Registration Fees:
- $20 plus HST*
*For the safety of our guests, we are requiring all registrants be vaccinated against COVID-19 (or have a medical exemption from full vaccination and ready to provide proof to access.) Note, there may be non-event attendees in the building that are not vaccinated.
REGISTER ONLINE BY GOING TO https://members.criminallawyers.ca/event-4774597
There are no refunds.
Not a current member of the CLA? Find out more about membership by going to https://members.criminallawyers.ca/joinus
THANK YOU TO OUR GENEROUS SPONSORS: