4th CLA Women in Criminal Law Conference
Date: April 6, 2019
Saturday, April 6, 2019, 8:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom, Georgian Bay Hotel, 10 Vacation Inn Drive, Collingwood, Ontario
This conference is open to all women, individuals that identify as female and allies of women.
This program is designed specifically for women and for individuals who identify as females or allies of women. The goal of this program is to focus on and address issues that women and/or individuals who identify as females encounter in the practice of criminal law. This program provides an opportunity for female lawyers to address the issues they encounter in an environment where there are other women with similar issues and in an environment free of embarrassment and pressure. The program also provides a networking opportunity for women to meet other female lawyers who they have either heard of or seen in court but never had the opportunity to meet and talk to.
- 8:45 to 9:45 a.m. Check-in and Continental Breakfast
- 9:45 to 10 a.m. Conference Welcome from the co-Chair of the CLA Women’s Committee:
- Cassandra DeMelo, DeMelo Law (London)
- 10 to 11 a.m. First things First: Taking Care of Ourselves
- Moderator: Cassandra DeMelo, DeMelo Law (London)
- Dr. Janine Cutler, PhD, Clinical and Forensic Psychologist, CBT Associates
- The Honourable Jeanine LeRoy, Ontario Court of Justice
- 11 to 11:15 a.m. Intermission & Coffee Break
- 11:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. It’s Boring, but It Helps us Get Paid: Money Management!
- Moderator: Tonya Kent, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Pharah Bacchus, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Sara Zollo, Financial Advisor, Sun Life Financial (Richmond Hill)
- 12 to 1 p.m. To Tweet or Not to Tweet: Social Media in the Criminal Law Practice
- Moderator: Maya Shukairy, Shukairy Law (Ottawa)
- Anne-Marie McElroy, McElroy Law (Ottawa)
- Danielle Robitaille, Henein Hutchinson LLP (Toronto)
- 1 to 2 p.m. Lunch & Intermission
- 2 to 3 p.m. Women Lawyers: Myths, Media, Reality
- Jill Presser, Presser Barristers (Toronto)
- 3 to 4 p.m. Top 5 Cases by 5 Top Women
- Promise Holmes Skinner, Promise Holmes Skinner Barrister & Solicitor (Toronto) – R v. Sharma
- Riali Johannesson, Riali Johannesson Law (Parry Sound)
- Emily Lam, Kastner Law (Toronto) – R v. Jackson
- Megan Savard, Addario Law Group (Toronto) – R v. Barton
- Samara Secter, Addario Law Group (Toronto) – R v. Le
- 4 to 4:30 p.m. Networking and Closing Remarks
The 2019 CLA Women in Criminal Law” program to be held on April 6, 2019 has been accredited for 2 hours of Professionalism Content. This program contains 1 hour of EDI Professionalism Content. This program is eligible for up to 2 hours, 45 minutes of Substantive hours.
Generously Sponsored by: