2017 CLA Recent Call Conference
Date: Thursday, October 26, 2017
Attention all CLA Recent Call Members (2010 and after) and Articling Students!
We are very excited to announce a conference just for you! The CLA will be offering a full-day Recent Call Conference on Thursday, October 26, 2017 in Toronto.
NOTE: Registration to the 45th Annual CLA Fall Conference is SEPARATE.
The 3rd Annual Recent Call Conference held on October 26, 2017 has been accredited for 2 hours and 35 minutes of Professionalism Content.
Only Professionalism Hours must be accredited by the Law Society. Lawyers and paralegals must determine for themselves whether an activity is an eligible educational activity for CPD and qualifies for Substantive Hours. For more information about Substantive Hours, please see CPD Requirement.
RECENT CALL CONFERENCE DETAILS:
Thursday, October 26, 2017
- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Professional Development – Double Tree by Hilton, Mandarin Room, 108 Chestnut St, Toronto (in person only)
8 to 8:50 a.m.: Check-in, continental breakfast and networking
8:50 to 9 a.m.: Welcome remarks
9 to 9:50 a.m.: Sentencing
- Simon Borys, Borys Law (Kingston)
- Stephen Proudlove, Proudlove Law (Toronto)
- Kabir Sharma, K. Sharma Law (Toronto)
9:50 to 10:40 a.m.: Bail
- R. Roots Gadhia, R. Roots Gadhia Roots of Law (Toronto)
- Michael Ellison, R. Roots Gadhia Roots of Law (Toronto)
- Catherine Sleightholm, R. Roots Gadhia Roots of Law (Toronto)
10:40 to 11:10 a.m.: Coffee Break
11:10 a.m. to 12 noon: Search Warrants
- Hussein Aly, Rusonik, O’Connor, Robbins, Ross, Gorham & Angelini (Toronto)
- Joshua Frost, Frost Wilson (Toronto)
- Maija Martin, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
12 to 1 p.m.: Lunch Keynote featuring Megan Savard, Addario Law Group LLP (Toronto)
1 to 1:50 p.m.: Charter Applications – ss. 8, 9, 10 & 24(2)
- Megan Schwartzentruber, Cooper, Sandler, Shime & Bergman LLP (Toronto)
- Kim Schofield, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
1:50 to 2:40 p.m.: Expert Witnesses
- Craig Bottomley, Pringle & Bottomley (Toronto)
2:40 to 3 p.m.: Coffee Break
3 to 3:50 p.m.: Trial Tactics & Defences
- Adam Boni, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Marco Sciarra, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Lori Anne Thomas, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
3:50 to 4 p.m.: Closing remarks
- $20: Recent Call Conference for CLA members called to the bar in 2010 or after
- $20: Recent Call Conference for CLA Articling student members
- $100: Recent Call Conference for Non-members called to the bar in 2010 or after
- $70: Recent Call Conference for Non-member articling students
- $57: Women in Criminal Law Dinner and Social – Thursday, October 26, 2017, 7 to 10 p.m., A specially catered sit-down dinner and open bar being held at THE RICHMOND, 477 Richmond St. W. Suite 104, Toronto.
- FREE: CLA Hospitality Suite, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 7 to 10 p.m., Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel, 525 Bay Street, Toronto, ON (room to be confirmed). Featuring an open bar and passed canapés.
* Cancellations will be accepted in writing if received on or before October 15. Cancellations are to be sent to [email protected]. A $10 admin fee will apply. No refunds will be accepted on or after October 16, 2017. Substitutions or the sharing of registrations is not accepted.
- Emond Publishing
- Doucette Santoro Furgiuele
- Elizabeth Barefoot
- Greenspan Humphrey Weinstein
- Sandberg-Williams Barristers