2016 CLA Recent Call Conference – Everything you need to know about examining witnesses
Date: October 27, 2016
Recent Call Conference on October 27, 2016 presented by the Recent Call Committee of the Criminal Lawyers’ Association
Attention all CLA Recent Call Members (2009 and after) and Articling Students!
We are very excited to announce a conference just for you! The CLA will be offering a full-day Recent Call Conference on Thursday, October 27, 2016 in Toronto. Examining witnesses is the corner stone of the judicial process. This conference will be an in depth exploration of examining witnesses of the most common types encountered in the court room. The immensely entertaining and must watch “Ten Commandments of Cross Examination” by Irving Younger will start us off followed by in depth sessions focused on cross examination of the police witness, the complainant, the expert witness and also direct examination. We will also feature a panel on the ethical problems associated with cross examination.
Our keynote speaker will be Danielle Robitaille, a future leader of our profession. She will share stories from her successful career in criminal defence and present advice to recent calls through the lessons she has learned along the way.
The 2016 CLA Recent Call Conference being held on October 27, 2016 has been accredited for 3 hr 00 min Professionalism Content. This program is also eligible for up to 3 hr 15 min Substantive Content.
RECENT CALL CONFERENCE DETAILS:
Thursday, October 27, 2016
- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Professional Development – Double Tree by Hilton, Mandarin Room, 108 Chestnut St, Toronto
- 8 to 8:45 a.m. – Check-in, light snacks and beverages
- 8.45 to 9 a.m. – Opening remarks
- 9 to 9:50 a.m. – Cross of a police officer – The Honourable Brian Abrams (SCJ) and Kim Schofield, moderated by Simon Borys
- 9:50 to 10:50 a.m. – Video – The Ten Commandments of Cross Examination by Irving Younger & Michael Watson, Adjunct Professor of Law, Osgoode Hall Law School, and Partner at Gowling WLG (Canada) LLP
- 10.50 to 11.10 a.m. – Break
- 11.10 a.m. to 12 p.m. – Cross of the complainant – John Rosen, moderated by Andrew Bigioni
- 12 to 1 p.m. – Lunch and address by Danielle Robitaille, with intro by Samantha Glied-Beliak
- 1 to 1:50 p.m. – Ethics – Mark Sandler, moderated by Amanda Ross and Eric Neubauer
- 1:50 to 2:40 p.m. – Cross examination of Experts – Craig Bottomley, moderated by Lee Sela
- 2:40 to 3 p.m. – Break
- 3 to 3:50 p.m. – Direct examination – Adam Boni and Francesca Yaskiel, moderated by Tyler Botten and Eric Neubauer
- 3:50 to 4 p.m. – Closing remarks