Call for Applicants: For The Defence Co-Editor
Term: July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2024
Two co-editors are required as editors for CLA’s magazine, For The Defence. The terms are two years, with terms expiring on alternating years.
The role of the co-editors shall include:
- Coordinating production of the Newsletter with Carswell, a Thomson Reuters business.
- Coordinating writers to ensure quality content, and diversity in both content and representation.
- Coordinating timely production of the newsletter – five (5) times per year.
- Editing articles as required.
- Writing an Editor’s Column.
- Working with the Art Editor in image/picture selection.
- Each issue requires approximately 20 to 30 hours of work.
- Report to CLA Board meetings as required – this participation is in a non-voting capacity – the editor will be bound be same confidentiality agreements as directors.
Sample production Schedule:
|Publication Month||Manuscript due date||Photo & Ad due date|
|March 2022||January 31, 2022||February 23, 2022|
|May 2022||March 1, 2022||April 1, 2022|
|June, 2022||April 15, 2022||May 11, 2022|
|July, 2022||June 1, 2022||June 15, 2022|
|October, 2022||August 31, 2022||September 21, 2022|
Applications are due by March 1, 2022. Applications are to be submitted electronically in PDF format (in one file) addressed to John Chagnon, [email protected].
Applicants must be Full CLA members, in good standing. While it is a preference that at least one of the co-editors not be a CLA Board member, it is not a disqualification. If the candidate is prepared to undertake both positions responsibly, he/she/they shall be considered for the position. A current editor can reapply.
Applications are asked to submit:
- Letter of interest outlining why they are interested in the serving as editor and what experience they have in editing/writing.
- A brief biography (one (1) page maximum).
- Two (2) writing samples.
The CLA Newsletter Editor Selection committee, consisting of the one or both co-Chair of the Media/Communications Committee, one of the current Editors and the Executive Director, will oversee the selection process.
All applications will be reviewed and candidates will be selected for an interview. Interviews will be conducted via zoom during the month of May. A final decision will be made in June. The Selection Committee reserves the right to reopen the call for applicants and extend submission dates. A current co-editor can reapply.
Sample Memorandum of Understanding:
All co-editors will be required to sign an MOU. A sample has been appended.
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) – For the Defence Editorship
Parties: NAME & NAME (herein referred to as “editors”)
Criminal Lawyers’ Association (herein referred to as “CLA”)
Whereby the CLA is seeking individuals to serve as Editor for it’s publication For the Defence and the CLA has agreed to engage CLA members Breese Davies & Seth Weinstein as co-editors and;
Whereby the CLA has contracted with Carswell to publish For the Defence and a contract is in place which references the roles/responsibilities of editors.
The following are the conditions under which the Editors will contract with the CLA:
- This MOU is for a two-year period starting July 1, 2022 and concluding on June 30, 2024
- The CLA will initiate the renewal of, or a search for new editors, 90 days before the end of the MOU term and will work with the current editors to develop a transition plan whereby at least one existing editor continues for a period of time beyond this MOU.
- The Editors will be paid an honourarium of $500 each per edition to be paid upon distribution of the edition to the membership;
- The Editors will be granted complimentary admission to the CLA Annual Fall Conference;
- The Board of the CLA will consult with the Editors before making any decision about For the Defence;
- The editors retain editorial independence and control in respect of the content of the magazine;
- The CLA may terminate this relationship with 10 days written notification and reserves the right to suspend all publications during the notification period;
- The Editors may terminate this relationship with 60 days written notification;
- The editors are to report to the Media/Communications Committee of the Board on a periodic basis;
- The Board, with the approval of the editors, will hire an Art Editor who will provide artistic direction and content for each edition of the magazine. The terms of the contract between the CLA and the Art Editor will include, at least, the following:
a. The Art Editor is to be paid an honourarium for each edition of the magazine to be negotiated in consultation with the editors;
b. The art editor will report to and take direction from the Editor(s);
c. The Art editor will develop the artistic theme of each edition in consultation with the editors;
d. The Art editor will take or otherwise acquire photographs of each author that contributes a piece for publication in For the Defence;
e. The Art editor will design, take or otherwise acquire photographs or artwork for the cover of each edition of the magazine;
f. The Art editor will take or otherwise acquire photographs to be included with the articles in the magazine according to the terms of the contract between the CLA and Thompson Reuters;
g. The Art editor will work with the publication team at Thompson Reuters to ensure the photographs or other art provided meets publication standards;
h. The Art editor will work with publication team at Thompson Reuters to ensure that all artwork used in For the Defence is properly credited and to ensure that all copyrights are respected;