50th Annual Fall Conference
Date: November 18-19, 2022
Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel, 525 Bay Street, Toronto, ON
The 50th annual Criminal Lawyers’ Association Fall Conference is now open for registration! This is a celebratory year!
The Annual Criminal Lawyers’ Association Fall Conference is Canada’s largest criminal law conference attracting more than 700 defence lawyers, judiciary, educators, reporters and other prominent guests from across Canada. Note, the Fall Conference is returning to a in-person format only. Registrants are expected to attend in-person.
- 60 minutes of EDI
- 1 hour 20 minutes of professionalism.
- Substantive Hours: 7 hours and 20 minutes (if hours are not needed for EDI and/or professionalism they can be added to)
Plus: Approved for LAWPRO’s Risk Management Credit. Participants who attend the full two days of the program can claim the Risk Management Credit twice. Those attending for one full day can claim once ($50).
Hotel Night Room Block – Special rate of $150 plus tax/fees per night!
We have secured a SPECIAL reduced rate at the host hotel for our conference registrants – Marriott Downtown at CF Toronto Eaton Centre for 150 CAD per night plus tax/fees. The CLA has a set number of rooms blocked for the following dates:
- Thursday, November 17
- Friday, November 18
- Saturday, November 19
We recommend booking before the room block fills. While hotel night spaces are available, guests can book rooms up to October 27. Book your group rate for Criminal Lawyers Annual Conference Fall 2022. Alternatively, call a Toll Free Number at 1 800 905 0667 to book your reservation.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2022
8:40 to 9 a.m. Welcome by Daniel Brown, President, Criminal Lawyers’ Association
9 to 9:40 a.m. Browne, Dunn and Done?: When Old Rules are New Again
- Giuseppe Battista, Battista Turcot Israel (Montréal)
- Solomon Friedman, Friedman Mansour LLP (Ottawa)
- Moderated by: Jessyca Greenwood, Assistant Secretary, Criminal Lawyers’ Association
9:40 to 10:20 a.m. Trauma-Informed Credibility
- Alan D. Gold, Alan D. Gold Professional Corporation, Past President, Criminal Lawyers’ Association (Toronto)
- Professor Timothy Moore, York University (Toronto)
10:20 to 11 a.m. Movie Review Panel
- Mark Sandler, Cooper, Sandler, Shime & Bergman LLP (Toronto)
- Steven Skurka, RH Criminal Defence (Toronto)
- Richard Crouse, Film Critic (Toronto)
11 to 11:30 a.m. BREAK
11:30 a.m. to 12 noon Costs as a Remedy for Crown Conduct
- Matthew Gourlay, Henein Hutchison LLP (Toronto)
- Jesse Razaqpur, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Magdalena Wyszomierska, Herscovitch Wyszomierska Jeethan (Toronto)
12 to 12:30 p.m. Sopinka Lecture featuring Associate Chief Justice Michal Fairburn
12:30 to 2 p.m. LUNCH BREAK
2 to 2:45 p.m. Defending Multi-Count Sexual Offence Cases
- Jill Makepeace, Greenspan, Humphrey, Weinstein LLP (Toronto)
- Danielle Robitaille, Henein Hutchison LLP (Toronto)
- Megan Savard, Savard Foy (Toronto)
2:45 to 3:30 p.m. Top 5 Cases at the OCJ, OCA, and SCC
- The Honourable Bruce Durno, Superior Court of Justice (Brampton)
- Associate Chief Justice Michal Fairburn (Toronto)
- The Honourable Mara Greene, Ontario Court of Justice (Toronto)
3:30 to 4 p.m. Stare Decisis After Sullivan and Chan
- Tony Paisana, Peck & Company (Vancouver)
- Stephanie DiGiuseppe, Ruby Shiller Enenajor DiGiuseppe Barristers (Toronto)
4 to 5 p.m. C:A 50th Anniversary Panel – featuring CLA Past Presidents
- Frank Addario, Addario Law Group (Toronto)
- Justice Louise Botham, Ontario Court of Justice (Brampton)
- Justice Norman Boxall, Ontario Court of Justice (Ottawa)
- Justice Paul Burstein, Ontario Court of Justice (Oshawa)
- Brian Greenspan, Greenspan, Humphrey, Weinstein LLP (Toronto)
5 to 5:30 p.m. Legal Aid Update
- Louis Strezos, Louis P. Strezos & Associate Barristers & Solicitors (Toronto)
5:30 to 6 p.m. CLA Annual General Meeting
6 to 8 p.m. Cocktail Reception and 50th Anniversary Celebration Featuring:
The Sentimentalists are award-winning mentalists who have performed for audiences around the globe, including at the World-Famous Magic Castle in Hollywood, California. Some television highlights of theirs include appearing on America’s Got Talent (where they were quarter-finalists), Canada’s Got Talent (where they were semi-finalists), and Penn & Teller: Fool Us (where they did indeed fool Penn and Teller). On November 18th, they will be here to entertain you – this is not an event you will want to miss.
Victoria Yeh’s unique style….dynamic and progressive. Classically trained, Yeh combines the purity of her musical heritage with the edginess of progressive fusion. She lights up the stage with her infectious energy, her passion and her distinctive style, captivating audiences across Canada. Yeh performs both acoustically and with her brilliant red electric violin, appearing as both a solo artist and with various groups including her original band The Spirit Awakens and jazz fusion band Paul DeLong’s ONE WORD and Art Griffin’s Sound Chaser. No matter the setting, Yeh’s haunting, daring and electrifying sound presents the violin as it’s rarely seen. www.VictoriaYeh.com
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 2022
8:55 to 9 a.m. Welcome by Meaghan McMahon
9 to 9:30 a.m. Gladue Beyond Sentencing: How to Apply Gladue Principles at Bail
- Senior Indigenous Justice of the Peace Justice Wendy Agnew (Toronto)
- Elizabeth Warren, Carroll & Wallace Barristers (Ottawa)
- Moderated by: Jessica Belisle, Defence Lawyer (Sault Ste. Marie)
9:30 to 10:15 a.m. Third Party Consent Issues After Marakah
- Wayne Cunningham, Cooper, Sandler, Shime & Bergman LLP (Toronto)
- Tanit Gilliam, Chief Federal Prosecutor, Public Prosecution Service of Canada (Toronto)
- Lynda Morgan, Addario Law Group (Toronto)
10:15 to 11 a.m. Everything you need to know about 278 Applications following J.J. & Reddick
- Lindsay Board, Daniel Brown Law (Toronto)
- Deborah Hatch, Defence Lawyer (Edmonton)
- Dominic Lamb, Lamb + O’Brien (Ottawa)
11 to 11:30 a.m. BREAK
11:30 a.m. to 12 noon Defending Sexual Offences involving Children
- Deepa Negandhi, Defence Lawyer (Toronto)
- Julianna Greenspan, Greenspan Partners LLP (Toronto)
- Jennifer Penman, Derstine Penman (Toronto)
- Moderated by: Neha Chugh, Chugh Law Professional Corporation (Cornwall)
12 to 12:30 p.m. Can You Delay Your Delay Application? When to Raise 11(b) Post-J.F.
12:30 to 1 p.m. The Evolution of Right to Counsel and the Impact on Counsel’s Duty to their Client
- Anil K. Kapoor, Kapoor Barristers (Toronto)
1 p.m. Closing by Christine Mainville
1 to 3 p.m. G. Arthur Martin Criminal Justice Medal Luncheon presentation featuring The Honourable David Watt
(includes access to Virtual Hub with links panel materials.) The Saturday Martin Medal Awards Luncheon is an extra fee. Recordings of presentations MAY be made available to all registrants by December 5 PENDING QUALITY of recordings at no extra charge. If recordings are not available, there are no credits or refunds .
MEMBERS FROM THE GREATER TORONTO AREA (GTA) AS PER ADDRESS LISTED IN THEIR MEMBER PROFILE. This includes members from the City of Toronto and the regional municipalities of Durham, Halton, Peel, and York:
- $350 plus HST: Senior Active, Senior Observer & Affiliate members
- $225 plus HST: Junior Active & Junior Observer members
- $225 plus HST: Articling Student members & members on parental leave
- $100 plus HST: Student members
MEMBERS FROM OUTSIDE THE GREATER TORONTO AREA (GTA) AS PER ADDRESS LISTED IN THEIR MEMBER PROFILE:
- $305 plus HST: Senior Active, Senior Observer & Affiliate members
- $195 plus HST: Junior Active & Junior Observer members
- $195 plus HST: Articling Student members & members on parental leave
- $85 plus HST: Student members
- $600 plus HST: Non-member legal professionals
- $250 plus HST: Non-member students
* Not a member? Find out more on how to become a member of the CLA and take advantage of the
CLA member registration rate to the conference by going to https://members.criminallawyers.ca/joinus
REGISTER TODAY by going to https://members.criminallawyers.ca/event-4961624 or call the CLA office with credit card information, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET at 416-214-9875,
Please note we do not offer a one-day rate.
There is no sharing of registrations.
Access to the Conference Virtual Hub will be emailed to all registrants at least 48 hours in advance to the email address provided when registering. Please be sure to monitor or spam/junk folders for materials. No sharing of materials is allowed as they are included with the registration fee. The CLA does not provide printed copies of the materials
- FREE to all registrants: CLA Friday Social, Friday, November 18, 6 to 8 p.m. Come and go as you please during the time period noted. We are making the social extra special this year as we celebrate our 50th Anniversary!
- $35 plus HST: Saturday, November 19 Martin Medal Luncheon honouring The Honourable David Watt. Please note non-Conference registrants can purchase the luncheon tickets separately for $55 plus HST per person by clicking here.
PLEASE REVIEW IF ATTENDING:
- We highly recommend all in-person attendees be fully vaccinated.
- The venue will be following all local government protocols. Refer to https://covid-19.ontario.ca/public-health-measures
- Stay home if you feel unwell or are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms. If unwell, we ask you to complete a COVID-19 test and quarantine until a negative result is confirmed. If needed, COVID-19 tests can be purchased locally. Please note, with currently circulating COVID-19 variants, it is common for rapid tests to be unable to detect COVID-19 until several days into infection – hence even if you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19 and are testing negative, please do not attend. Access to the conference recordings will be available by December 5 on the Conference Hub.
Cancellations will be accepted in writing if received by 12 noon (ET) on or before November 1, 2022. Cancellations are to be sent to [email protected]. A $35 admin fee will apply. No refunds will be accepted on or after November 2. The substitution of registrants is not accepted unless emailed to [email protected] 72 hours prior to the event start time. The sharing of registrations is not permitted.
The CLA reserves the right to alter or cancel, without prior notice, any of the arrangements relating directly or indirectly to an event, for any circumstances beyond the CLA’s reasonable control. If the CLA cancels the event, registrants will be offered a full refund. Should circumstances arise that result in the postponement of an event, registrants will have the option to either receive a full refund or transfer registration to the same event at the new, future date.
In the case of inclement weather, unless otherwise notified by CLA, the event will still take place. When an event proceeds as planned, there will be no refunds should attendees not be able to attend as a result of weather. The CLA will also not be liable to refund registration fees should the event be impacted by a transit strike, strike lock-out, accident, civil disturbance or any other cause whatsoever beyond their control.
We are grateful to our sponsors for all their support!
- Chugh Law Professional Corporation
- Just For Today
- Lynch & Associates, Forensic Accountants
- Richter Law Professional Corporation
Come celebrate our 50th Anniversary Fall Conference by sponsoring this milestone year.
This IS the 50th Anniversary of the CLA AND the 50th Fall Conference. We are planning an exciting programming – don’t miss out and sponsor this milestone conference.
The Annual Criminal Lawyers’ Association Fall Conference is Canada’s largest criminal law conference, attracting defence lawyers, members of the judiciary, educators, reporters and other prominent guests from across Canada. Fall Conferences held the last few years have been record breaking with more than 800 participants! The Annual Recent Call Conference attracts 200+ participants, all of whom are within their first seven years of practice or articling students.
We are now accepting sponsors for the following:
- 50th Annual CLA Fall Conference (November 18-19, 2022 – in-person) – Toronto Eaton Centre Marriott, 525 Bay Street, Toronto
- 34th Annual G. Arthur Martin Criminal Justice Award Presentation to The Honourable David Watt (November 19, 2022 – in-person) – Toronto Eaton Centre Marriott, 525 Bay Street, Toronto
- Annual Women in Criminal Law Dinner (November 17, 2022 in Toronto)
- 8th Annual Recent Call Conference (October 22 – Hybrid) – – Double Tree by Hilton, Mandarin Room, 108 Chestnut St, Toronto
Sponsorship levels (includes all four functions noted above):
- Visionary (x1) SOLD OUT
- Platinum (x3) $7,500
- Gold (x5) SOLD OUT
- Silver (x10) $2,000
- Bronze (unlimited) $1,000
BREAKDOWN OF SPONSOR BENEFITS NOTED BELOW:
PLATINUM X3 $7,500 CDN EACH
- COMPANY BANNER/LOGO/NAME EVENT WEB PAGES: banner to include logo, sentence about sponsor & web/social media specs
- COMPANY LOGO/NAME INCLUDED IN EMAIL PROMOTIONS: linked to sponsor website and sent to more than 5,000+ legal professionals.
- EXHIBITOR SPACE at the main Fall Conference.
- VERBAL ACKNOWLEDGEMENT at all three portions of the sponsorship.
- 45 SECOND COMMERCIAL– can be a video or a slide presentation to be played during intermissions at all three portions of the sponsorship.
- THREE COMPLIMENTARY REGISTRATIONS TO EACH EVENT
SILVER X10 $2,000 CDN EACH
- COMPANY NAME ON EVENT WEB PAGES
- COMPANY NAME INCLUDED IN EMAIL PROMOTIONS: linked to sponsor website and sent to more than 5,000+ legal professionals
- VERBAL ACKNOWLEDGEMENT at all three portions of the sponsorship.
BRONZE $1,000 CDN EACH
- COMPANY NAME ON EVENT WEB PAGES
- COMPANY NAME INCLUDED IN EMAIL PROMOTIONS: sent to more than 5,000+ legal professionals
Reserve your sponsorship by going to https://members.criminallawyers.ca/event-4899738
We are now accepting exhibitors for the 50th Annual CLA Fall Conference (November 18-19, 2022 – in-person).
Toronto Eaton Centre Marriott, 525 Bay Street
The Fall Conference has significantly grown in attendance numbers. More than 800 criminal defence practitioners, articling students, law students and legal professionals are expected to participate.
- $1,356 each (HST included)
ONLY 14 EXHIBITOR SPACES ARE AVAILABLE.
Reserve your exhibitor space by going to https://members.criminallawyers.ca/event-4899781