SOLD OUT! 48th Annual CLA Fall Conference
Date: October 23-24, 2020
October 23-24, 2020, LIVE VIRTUAL
The Annual Criminal Lawyers’ Association Fall Conference is Canada’s largest criminal law conference attracting more than 700 defence lawyers, judiciary, educators, reporters and other prominent guests from across Canada.
Dates and Times:
Please note the times below may be updated at a later date. The final agenda that will be released with the Virtual Hub (refer to webcast access information below) will have the final times noted. We will do our best to remain as close as possible to the following:
- Friday, October 23 – 8:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
- Saturday, October 24 – 8:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
- Professionalism Hours: 2 hours and 10 minutes
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Hours: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- Substantive Hours: 4 hours and 15 minutes (if hours are not needed for EDI and/or professionalism they can be added to substantive)
Please note registration includes access to a “Virtual Hub” that will provide access to materials, agenda, details on how to access the live webcast and pointers to ensure access works for you. We will be using a platform call Demio for our Fall Conference (same platform as used for the 2020 Spring Virtual Conference).
- All presentations will be recorded in advance. In most cases, registrants will be able to submit question directly to the speakers towards the end of each presentation.
- Only those that register in advance can claim CPD.
- Access information to the Virtual Hub will be emailed to all registrants at least 48 hours before the start date and will be sent to the email address entered when registering.
- It is up to the registrant to make sure they have the Virtual Hub link and test access before the conference start date. Be sure to check your spam and junk boxes. The CLA is not responsible for technical issues with each individual’s particular access but will make every effort to problem solve any issues brought forward in advance of the conference proceedings.
- The recordings of the conference MAY be available after the conference and placed on the Virtual Hub page AFTER the conference for registrants to access.
- Access to the Virtual Hub will be open for 30-days for all Fall Conference registrants. We will NOT sell access to the Virtual Hub – it will only be accessible to those that register for the conference in advance.
The Fall Conference agenda is below. The individual presentation date is final with the times being “estimates.” We will do our best to keep our timing as close as possible to the below.
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2020
Participant Access opens at 8 to 8:45 a.m. We will have limited IT support during this time. Should you need support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
8:45 to 8:50 a.m. – WELCOME AND OPENING INTRODUCTIONS
- Lisa Jørgensen, Women’s Director, Criminal Lawyers’ Association
- Leonardo Russomanno, Co-Chair, Fall Conference
- Adam Weisberg, Co-Chair, Fall Conference
8:50 to 10:15 a.m. – RACIAL PROFILING
- Emily Lam, Partner, Kastner Lam LLP
- Joshua Sealy-Harrington, Power Law
- Neil Weinstein, Partner, Weinstein Law
10:15 to 11 a.m. – APPELLATE PANEL – CHARTER EDITION
- Anil Kapoor, Kapoor Barristers
- Howard Krongold, Partner Abergel Goldstein & Partners LLP
- The Honourable Catriona Verner, Superior Court of Justice of Ontario
11 to 11:25 a.m. – BREAK & IT support (email@example.com)
11:25 a.m. to 12:05 p.m. – POLICE EXPERTS
- Alan Gold, Alan D. Gold Professional Corporation, Past President, Criminal Lawyers’ Association
12:05 to 1:15 p.m. – CHALLENGING WARRANTS/WIRETAPS
- Adam Boni, Boni & Company, Barristers
- Fady Mansour, Partner, Friedman Mansour LLP
- Kim Schofield, Kim Schofield & Associates
1:15 to 1:45 p.m. – SOPINKA LECTURE – Truth, Justice and the Troubles: Dispatches from Northern Ireland
- The Honourable Renee M. Pomerance, Superior Court of Justice
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2020
Participant Access opens at 8:15 to 8:45 a.m. We will have limited IT support during this time. Should you need support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
8:45 to 9:35 a.m. – ETHICAL/PROFESSIONALISM
- The Honourable Breese Davies, Superior Court of Justice
- The Honourable John Norris, Federal Court
- Omar E. Abou El Hassan, May Irwin & Associates
9:35 to 10:25 a.m. – TOP 10 CHARTER CASES
- The Honourable Julie Bourgeois, Ontario Court of Justice
- The Honourable Robert Maranger, Superior Court of Justice
- The Honourable David Paciocco, Court of Appeal for Ontario
10:25 to 11:15 a.m. – TACTICAL ADMISSIONS
- The Honourable Jane Kelly, Superior Court of Justice
- Liam O’Connor, Rusonik, O’Connor, Robbins, Ross, Gorham & Angelini LLP
- Reid Rusonik, Rusonik, O’Connor, Robbins, Ross, Gorham & Angelini LLP
11:15 to 11:40 a.m. – BREAK & IT support (email@example.com)
11:40 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. – ADVANCED CROSS-EXAMINATION: TECHNIQUES TO CONTROL THE DIFFICULT WITNESS
12:40 to 1:10 p.m. – ADVOCACY AND CROSS EXAMINATION STRATEGIES FOR VULNERABLE WITNESSES
1:10 to 1:45 p.m. – ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS
- Frank Addario, Addario Law Group, Past President, Criminal Lawyers’ Association
1:45 p.m. – Closing and Appreciation
- 2020 CLA Fall Conference Committee
REGISTRATION – SOLD OUT. WAITING LIST ONLY
As a result of the impact of the pandemic on our members, we have reduced the Fall Conference Registrations fees for members significantly this year.
- $30 plus HST: CLA Student Members
- $45 plus HST: CLA Junior Active & Junior Observer Members
- $55 plus HST: CLA Senior Active, Senior Observer & Affiliate Members
- $400 plus HST: Non-members*
- $200 plus HST: Non-member students*
To register online (visa, mastercard and amex accepted), please go to https://members.criminallawyers.ca/event-3940574. Registrations are also accepted over the phone during business hours (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) with credit card payment provided. To register over the phone, please call 416-214-9875.
* Not a current member of the CLA? Find out more about membership by going to https://members.criminallawyers.ca/joinus